What is NSSCC and what do I do to enter?
The New Zealand National Secondary School Culinary Challenge - NSSCC - is New Zealand's premier secondary schools culinary competition, designed to give insight to students considering hospitality as a career. It is open to all students over the age of 15 (at the time of the National Final on September 4 2018).
A huge thank you to all of our wonderful sponsors, without whom the NSSCC wouldn't be possible.
What is NSSCC?
The challenge begins with students competing at regional levels. Each competitor will be required to prepare, cook and present two individually-plated entree portions, consisting of fresh New Zealand-grown tomatoes as the principal component of each dish, within 60 minutes. A description card containing two copies of each recipe must be presented, and uploaded on the template provided here.
Each dish must meet healthy eating guidelines.
Each regional winning school will receive a $500 voucher from NSSCC sponsor Bidfood, to assist teams with training and travel assistance to attend the national final. The winning regional teams and teachers will also be provided with a branded NSSCC chef's jacket to wear at the final and prize giving, a New Zealand Culinary Journey Chefs Jacket, a branded polo shirt and a finalist's hat.
The NSSCC final will take place at MIT, Gate 14, Alexandra Crescent, Otara, Auckland, on Tuesday 4th September 2018. The awards dinner will commence at 6pm.
What happens next?
Regional winners will be invited to create a team of two to represent their school and region, along with their teachers, at the NSSCC National Grand Final in Auckland on September 4, 2018.
To apply to enter the finals, the winning competitor and coach must:
- Ask another student to join the winner and transition into a two person regional team for the final. (Note: The school owns the right to the final and can nominate any registered school student from a school in the area to be in their NSSCC Grand Final Team.)
- Be available to attend the NSSCC Grand Final and the NZ Culinary Journey on Tuesday 4th September and Wednesday 5th September 2018.
NSSCC National Grand Final
Teams of two Year 11 to 13 students go head-to-head in a live regional kitchen cook-off.
Each team will be required to prepare, cook and present four individually-plated portions of an entree, and four individually-placed portions of a main course, within 90 minutes.
- Each entree must contain fresh NZ-grown tomato as the principal component of the dish.
- Each main course must include Waitoa chicken breast (supreme cut) as the principal component of the dish, and at least three fresh NZ-grown vegetables, one of which must be a potato.
Students will be scored across a number of areas including food preparation, hygiene, presentation, taste and use of New Zealand produced vegetables and chicken.
Each Regional winning school will receive a $500 Bidfood voucher Each regional team (students) will receive a gift pack, including a professional chef’s jacket, for the final.
Each national winning student receives:
- A prize pack, courtesy of our fantastic sponsors, valued at over $500 each.
- All finalists will attend an Awards dinner, stay over night
- A New Zealand Culinary Journey trip visiting local growers, industry businesses and a Masterclass.
Each winning school will receive:
- $1,000.00 voucher from Bidfood
- E32D4 Blue Seal Turbofan Oven and Stand from Moffat New Zealand, valued ath $7,000.
We will also be awarding 2 x $2,000 Scholarships at the national final for any competitor who will be embarking on their Tertiary Studies at a City & Guilds Centre of their choice in 2018.
Total prize package of over $15,000 !!!
Click 'ENTER NOW'
If you'd like to enter NSSCC 2018, please click 'Enter Now' and fill out the information to register.
The NSSCC Results for 2017:
Our 2017 National winners are ......
Ketia Henry and Sose Ailepata, Aorere Trades Academy
Aorere Trades Academy (Ketia & Sose) - Gold Medal
Wanganui High School (Mathew & Charlotte) - Gold Medal
Napier Girls High School (Alannah & Brenna) - Gold Medal
New Plymouth Boys High School (Connor & Zackery) - Silver Medal
Wellington Trades Academy (Melissa & Hannah) - Silver Medal
Onehunga High School (Pakeezah & Eufemio) - Silver Medal
Te Awamutu College (Jorja & Zavier) - Silver Medal
Southland Boys High School (Kapila & James) - Bronze Medal
- Auckland (Central/West/Northland)
- Auckland (Central/East/South)
- Waikato/Bay of Plenty
- Poverty Bay/Hawkes Bay
- Canterbury/North (Nelson/Marlborough/Westcoast)